Introduction to KayakingSign Up Now
Learn to Sea Kayak
Learn the basics of sea kayaking with coaching from highly trained instructors. This class is modeled after the ACA Introduction to Kayaking course, and begins with some relatively brief land-based information about kayaks, equipment and topics related to kayak safety. Then we'll move to the water, where instruction includes demonstrations and practice of a variety of paddle strokes, boat maneuvers and rescue skills. We'll even go on a brief kayak tour.
Class meets from 8:30 AM until 4 PM at Olalla Reservoir outside Toledo, Oregon.
- $150 per person.
- Ages 14 and up.
- Scholarships available!
Our kayak classes take place at Olalla Reservoir outside Toledo, Oregon.
We have three kayak classes scheduled this summer:
If you have more than 4 people, and would like to schedule a custom class, please contact us.
What To Bring
Each participant will need to be sure to have the following items:
- A well-fitted wetsuit or drysuit.
- A USCG approved, Type III life jacket.
- A whistle securely attached to life jacket.
- Nose plugs (We recommend that they have a lanyard).
- Lunch and snacks for each day.
For a full list or recommended items, please see our program gear list. Don't have a life jacket or wetsuit? In the Newport area, Ossies Surf Shop and Pura Vida Surf Shop offer wetsuit rentals. Feel free to email us or call (800) 806-4882 for help getting these items together.
As a matter of safety, to be eligible for our programs each participant must be:
- Over the age of 14.
- Able to follow instructions and effectively communicate independently (or with the assistance of a companion).
- Able to independently swim 50 yards (or with the assistance of a companion).
- Able to independently turn from face-down to face-up and remain floating face-up while wearing a properly fitted life jacket (or with the assistance of a companion).
- Able to independently get out and from under a capsized paddlecraft (or with the assistance of a companion).
Our programs are open to everyone. Please email us or call (800) 806-4882 if you would like to participate but require special accomodations.
We pride ourselves on making our programs accessible to our community. Thanks to our generous donors, scholarships are available to help with the costs of program fees, equipment rentals, snacks, and lunches. Please email us or call (800) 806-4882 for more information.
We require at least 14 days cancellation notice prior to your scheduled program, or we cannot provide a refund. Our programs require at least 3 participants. If your scheduled program is canceled, we'll notify you at least 14 days prior to the start of the program.
All of our activities are weather dependent, and may be cancelled due to inclement weather or other unsafe conditions. If your scheduled program is cancelled due to safety concerns, you'll receive a full refund.
It's important to us that everyone in our community has the opportunity to participate in our programs. Scholarships are available to help with program fees, wetsuit rentals, snacks, and lunches. We have no set criteria for scholarship eligibility.
Please email us or call (800) 806-4882 to learn more and get signed up via a scholarship.
Our Introduction to Kayaking class takes place at Olalla Reservoir from 8:30 AM until 4 PM.